When a teacher requests whether or not I can come another hour to teach my lesson to other students after she heard me earlier in the morning, I believe it is indicative of the positive reaction I have received in the schools. When principals invite me back it is a sign that things are going well. But more so, at the end of classes when students come to me to continue asking questions about Rochester or even about my personal story I feel most rewarded for my efforts. At Modi'in's Purim parade, called the Adloyada, at which I participated in costume and marched with Temple Sinai's matched school, Idanim, students from one of the other schools came up to me and asked why I wasn't marching with them. Given this feedback I feel I have made connections and helped to strengthen our educational bridge.
During the past week I returned to Idanim, visited the only school in the country directly connected with a Reform congregation(v. upcoming Yozma School blog), was invited into an Orthodox school and by chance had Shabbat dinner with a student who had heard me in his class. All of these occurrences coming only a week before I am returning to the US, reinforced my feelings of accomplishment this year.
The final visit to Idanim felt like a return to my home base. Not only has Aviva Dvir, the principal of the school and Jan's counterpart in the Educational Bridge on the Modi'in side been a support and facilitator in my teaching but she is also a dear friend. In fact this past Shabbat afternoon I went with her, her husband Amos, and her daughter Or to meet her son Omri, his wife Hila and their baby Matan in Abu Ghosh, an Israeli Arab town for a hummus lunch at one of the two “Abu Shukri, number 1, the Original” restaurants there. After lunch we went to a local bakery for unbelievable baklawa and kenafe, another sweet Arab pastry. Then we visited a community and high observation area called Har Adar, Mount Adar. It was not named after our educator Ilan Adar but was so named because the British, in the time of the mandate set up radar installations there due to its strategic position. So Har Radar became Har Adar. From there one can see jerusalem, Ramallah, Modi'in and if it was clear enough all the way to the Mediterranean. Our final stop of the day was an orchid greenhouse at Kibbutz Ma'ale Hahamisha which contains an area to bring an ailing plant that is not blooming for rehab. That area is called the Orchid Pension (a type of hotel).
When I arrive at Idanim I am now known to the guard at the door (all Israeli schools have guard sat their entrances), the office staff, the building superintendent (called Av habayit, House father), most of the teachers and many students. Aviva even tells classes that I am not really a guest any more but I am part of the staff.
This last visit was supposed to be for two classes; one 6th grade about American Jewry and one 5th grade about the Abayudaya in Uganda. As I finished the second class Aviva asked if I would be willing to visit another 6th grade class because the teacher who was in my first lesson wanted me to meet with her own class. I found the one year difference between the 5th and 6th graders to make a huge difference. However the students still felt I really didn't look like a rabbi. At the conclusion of the day a few girls came to me and asked me if I would be returning and why don't I stay in Israel. What a positive note to finish my time at Idanim.
At Shabbat dinner this past week one of the Idanim students along with his parents were guests at my Aunt's home. At first the boy did not recognize me but when he did he was pleased and we talked about my visit to his class. He remembered many of the things I spoke of in my presentation. He told me and his parents that he enjoyed the class. However, he was quite surprised when my discussion with his father who is a journalist and writes for The Jerusalem Post was about politics. I guess he did not think rabbis or teachers discuss politics.
The day after I was at Idanim I was invited to visit an Orthodox school, Netiv Zevulun. In the education system the government supports both secular schools as well as those that are Orthodox or what they refer to as a government Torah schools. The principal Menachem Fisher and the assistant principal Shoshi Fishbein participated in two previous delegations of Modi'in teachers to Rochester. I considered my invitation a major triumph for a number of reasons. First, it seems that other Orthodox schools, even the “modern” Orthodox ones like Netiv Zevulun are more hesitant to make the connection with the overall partnership. Second, I had misconceptions about how a Reform rabbi would be accepted in an Orthodox school. I must say with tremendous pleasure that I was not only greeted with warmth and respect but was introduced by Menachem and Shoshi as a Reform rabbi from Rochester who was there to teach them about our Jewish community and lifestyle. There was no hesitation in allowing the students to know that there are other streams of Judaism, and I believe the streams were all given legitimacy by the way I was welcomed. Third, I had already heard in one of the secular schools a parent was concerned that a Reform rabbi was coming to talk. I imagine Menachem might have received even more comments and perhaps criticism when parents learned of my visit.
I don't know if I would get such a welcome in other Orthodox schools. Netiv Zevulun is clearly Orthodox but I have noticed mothers wearing pants who bring and pick up their kids. The assistant principal Shoshi does not cover her hair. Add to that their school rabbi, Motti Fishfried who has no beard, was wearing a blue shirt with no black coat and plays basketball with the students. Stereotypes are immediately shattered.
When I ask my opening question of whether or not I look like a rabbi in the secular schools their answer is usually negative. My beard is not long enough and I don't wear rabbi's clothing, meaning a black suit and white shirt, are two of the reasons I most often hear. Those secular students who have little contact with rabbis don't understand that we come in many varieties. The Orthodox students at Netiv Zevulun noticed I did not have tzitzit (which Motti did have) but I was wearing a kippah and they thought nothing of my relatively short beard and regular everyday clothing. This reaffirms the idea that those within any group see and understand the nuances and differences while those outside looking in often tend to group everything together and paint a less nuanced broad stroked picture.
I taught two classes of boys who were put together in one room. They had a lot of questions about ritual practice and kashrut. They were interested in the reasons Reform and Conservative Jews in the U.S. practice Judaism differently. They wanted to know if there were enough places to buy kosher food in Rochester. I never detected any negativity when I explained how Reform Jews and I in particular do things they would never think of doing, such as driving to services on Shabbat and holidays, although one boy wanted to know why I don't start a synagogue near my home in Webster.
The girls have one very large class of 40 students. After Menachem left the room I was the only male and since I was talking to all females I had to use the feminine plural forms in Hebrew. I asked them to excuse my grammar because I had never before taught a class of only girls. They were interested in what our students do as B'not Mitzvah. One girl asked if they wore tallitot and kippot. I explained that was an option for us for the girls but also for the boys. They then asked if the girls wore boys' clothing and if they dressed nicely for Shabbat and holidays. I told them that when girls become bat mitzvah they usually wear dresses or skirts but when they wear pants they are not boys' styles and are specifically for girls. Both classes also asked me why we celebrate two seders for Pesach.
After class Menachem and Shoshi proudly gave me haggadot the school had printed that contained explanations and teachings written and gathered from traditional sources by the students and put together by Rabbi Fishfried. It is a lovely edition and looks professionally done. Menachem was also proud to point out that when any adult enters a class all the students rise to honor them. I have to say again I felt truly honored by my visit to Netiv Zevulun.
No comments:
Post a Comment