Arriving in Israel at Ben Gurion Airport is always a lift to my spirits. There were no lines and no hassles. Over the years passport control often asked me if I have an Israeli passport, but this time they only asked the reason and length of my visit. As I exited into the main hall I immediately saw my friend Amos Dvir (Aviva's husband) who was my ride to Modi'in. Aviva is the principal of Idanim School, our match in the Partnership education bridge. She is also Jan's counterpart in Israel running the bridge on their side and has become a dear friend.
Coincidently on the plane I sat one seat away from a fellow who said he was from Maccabim, a small area that is technically part of Modi'in, along with Re'ut. He asked if I needed a ride to Modi'in. Even more of a coincidence was that his wife is active at YOZMA the Reform congregation in Modi'in and he knows my cousin.
Took my first walk from the apartment I stay at all the way to the water tower on the top of a park and hill known as Titora. Yesterday was Tu B'Shevat and you can feel the approaching spring and see wild flowers beginning to sprout on the hillside. I saw the bright red poppies and other yellow flowers (Sorry I am not an expert on names).
This evening Vicky (my aunt, friend and hostess) and I went for dinner with my friends Rabbi Miri Gold and David Leichman who live on Kibbutz Gezer. One of their sons, Arishai, invited a few young women to dinner who had recently been on a Birthright program. Two of the women who had very little previous contact or knowledge of Israel or Judaism were totally turned on by the experience. One said she wished she could bring her dog and fiancée over because she really did not want to leave. Her entire life and world view were altered by this Israel trip. It was exciting to see what a single trip to Israel could do for a young adult who previously had less than a strong tie to Israel and Judaism. This was a Birthright success story.
David's 18 year endeavor, Pinat Shorashim has recently been closed down due to relations with the kibutz. He has sent some of the pieces from the park to Kansas City where they may become part of a project “Pinat Shorashim West,” an attempt to use some of his philosophy and approach to enhance local Jewish education. He is looking for his next employment opportunity. The kibbutz seems to have agreed to allow Miri to use the outdoor sanctuary at Pinat Shorashim for her congregation Birkat Shalom. Hopefully all will work out for the best for them.
In the past few years I have seen two of their three children Eliora and Alon when I have visited. Arishai returned from two years of exotic travels this past November and it was wonderful to see him again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment